IBC is an evangelical church, which means we hold to the traditional teaching of the Christian Church, focusing on God’s love for all, shown to us in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
We believe the Bible to be God’s words to us and so we devote a large part of our time together studying it and applying its teaching to our lives. Because of this we believe that we should live lives worthy of God, shown through our lifestyle, our relationships with each other, other churches, and in the community.
We encourage everybody to respond personally to God’s offer of forgiveness and a new start, made possible by Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, and received through faith.
A distinctive feature of Baptist church life is the practice of believers’ baptism, when any who have come to faith are immersed in water as a sign of their new birth in Christ.
Our key beliefs
We believe wholeheartedly in the great truths of historic biblical Christianity:
- The “God-breathedness” of all Scripture and the final authority of the Bible in all matters of faith and life.
- The trinity of God and his sovereignty as creator, provider, savior and judge.
- The deity, virgin birth, perfect manhood, substitutionary atonement, physical resurrection, ascension to heaven and personal return of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The personality and deity of the Holy Spirit and the necessity of his regenerating and sanctifying work.
- Salvation by grace alone, received by faith alone.
- The church as a fellowship of the redeemed, the body of which Christ is the head.
- An eternity spent in the presence of God for believers, and eternal separation from God for unbelievers.
Here you can also read IBC’s complete Statement of Faith IBC