30 January 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: Shepherding God’s Flock: Leading the Church in Difficult Times
- Scripture: 1 Peter 5: 1-7
- Read: 30 January 2011 PDF
- Download: 30 January 2011 AUDIO
Introduction: In the first verses of this fifth chapter, Peter specifically addresses the leaders of the churches, and challenges them to provide faithful leadership, which is especially vital in times of difficulty and persecution. Peter employs an image that was better known in his day than in ours, that of the role of shepherds, the elders, in taking care of the sheep, the flock, which is the people of God.
23 January 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: The Painful Trial – Suffering for Following Christ
- Scripture: 1 Peter 4:12-19
- Read: 23 January 2011 PDF
- Download: 23 January 2011 AUDIO
Introduction: In these verses of the 4th chapter of 1 Peter, we’ll consider the words of the Apostle of Hope regarding the painful trial we face and the suffering that will inevitably result from our following Christ as Lord. He addresses the issue of suffering that is unavoidable if we follow Christ faithfully. Possibly Roman Emperor Nero has now begun his horrific assault upon the church (Wiersbe, 112). He describes this pending and perhaps already present suffering as a painful, literally fiery, trial.
16 January 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: The Time is Now! Leaving the Old Life and Living the New
- Scripture: 1 Peter 4:1-11
- Read: 16 January 2011 PDF
- Download: 16 January 2011 AUDIO
Introduction: In Chapter 3 Peter has encouraged the church to faithfully follow Christ’s example in suffering for doing good, and in Chapter 4 he gives further instructions and says some important things about time; namely, that the time is now to leave the old life and begin earnestly living the new life we have in Christ.