25 September 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: Commandment Nine: God’s People of Truth
- Scriptures: Exodus 20:16 & John 8: 31-47
- Read: 25 September 2011 PDF
- Download: sermon 2011-09-25.wav
Introduction: Once again we will look at the commandment as the Lord gave to the Israelites and then consider the full implications and applications of the commandment through the teaching of Jesus. In our text from John, Jesus is engaged in a debate with the Jewish legalists who rejected his claims to be the promised Son of God, the Messiah, and the Truth who alone makes us free.
18 September 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: The Good Samaritan and the 8th Commandment
- Scriptures: Exodus 20:15 & Luke 10: 25-27
- Read: 18 September 2011
- Download: sermon 2011-09-18.wav
Introduction: I assume most of us will think we’ve escaped condemnation from the eighth commandment against stealing since we haven’t been charged with grand theft, burglary, shoplifting or even cheating with our tax reports. But once again as followers of Christ we have to look at this commandment from his perspective and with his much broader and more demanding application.
11 September 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: Back to the Basics: The Elements of the First Church
- Scripture: Acts 2: 42 – 47
- Read: 11 September 2011 PDF
- Download: sermon 2011-09-11l
Introduction: We are departing just for today from our series from Exodus and the Ten Commandments in order to, at the beginning of this new church year, to refocus on the basics of the life and ministry of the church.
4 September 2011 (Pastor Roger Roberts)
- Sermon title: A Great Sin in need of a Great Savior
- Scripture: Exodus 20:14 & Matthew 5:27-30
- Read: 4 September 2011 PDF
- Download: 4 September 2011 AUDIO
Introduction: Today with the seventh commandment we’ll note the broader, more demanding interpretation of Jesus who tells us how we are to refrain from adultery by living a pure life that pleases God. Adultery in the strictest sense is “voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband” (Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary). But as we’ll note, this term for adultery “represents all sexual sins” (Oswalt, NLT, 159). More is represented in this seventh commandment than the “bare details” of overt adultery, and “any sexual activity outside of an exclusive, committed heterosexual marriage” is included in this prohibition (Oswalt, CBC, 446).