Sermon on January 20 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Mark 7:31-37
Only Mark records this story. Here is the fulfilment of the promise that the kingdom has come in Jesus.
‘Then will the eyes of the blind be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame will leap like a deer and the mute tongue shout for joy’
Where Jesus shows up:
1. YOU USUALLY FIND A FEW PEOPLE, ON A BIG MISSION! (v31-32)
- The source of the request : some nameless people
- The strength of the request: people consumed to bring their friend to Jesus.
2. HE GLADLY MAKES THE IMPOSSIBLE, POSSIBLE! (v33-34)
- Jesus touches
What may offend us, saliva on the deaf man’s tongue, shows that Jesus speaks the language anyone can understand.
- Jesus sighs
Are we too conditioned to the fallen-ness of the world? What are you groaning about in your life, and the lives of others?
- Jesus looks
As the righteous servant of the Lord even Jesus needed heavenly strength.
Let one day go by without secret prayer, and it is easier to let a prayer-less week go by, then a prayer-less month.
- Jesus speaks
This man is not healed gradually. His brain can immediately process words and meaning, and his tongue can join in praise.
3. HIS WORK IS ALWAYS BIGGER THAN THE MOMENT! (V36-37)
- If you can’t explain Jesus, He must be God.
Anyone comes to faith the same way this man comes to hear Christ’s word.
‘Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ’
In Jesus, God makes Himself available, accessible and simple.
- If Jesus is God, get the word out
When God something good, He is committed to completion and perfection.
Remember! This is more than just a healing. It is a sign that one day all who love Jesus will be restored in a new body in a new place to praise Him forever and ever.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
1. What do we know about those who bring the deaf man to Jesus? What does this tell us about the way we live for and serve Jesus?
2. Jesus takes this man aside. How different is this from the way many ‘healings’ are advertised today? What does this tell us about the way we might approach healing?
3. Why does Jesus sigh deeply? How might that encourage your faith in Him?
4. In what way does this miracle proved the identity of Jesus? What does it guarantee for those who are in Christ now? And what does it promise for the future?
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Carlos Sillero