VBS is Vacation Bible School, which is an annual 5-day event organized by International Baptist Church of Brussels (IBC) with the support of St. Paul’s Anglican Church Tervuren. Many committed Christians from other churches in the Brussels area (or in Belgium and sometimes even from other countries) make their time available to share in this endeavour.
Monday – Friday, 21 – 25 August 2017
10:00 – 14:00
at IBC Brussels
- For Children, ages 5-11 (participation fee: EUR 25 for all five days[exact amount still tbd], payable on the first day – reduced fee for third/fourth child of same family)
- For Junior Helpers, ages 12-15
- For Senior Helpers, ages 16+ (we provide preschool & nursery for your little ones while you are helping).
What is VBS?
Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a creative and fun-filled week of learning about God’s great love for each and every one of us. Children will enjoy stories from the Bible, with singing, crafts, games, and even snacks connecting with each day’s teaching. Parents are invited to join the children during the closing program (each day, 13:30-13:55)
The teaching language is English: a basic understanding of English is essential for your child to fully enjoy this program.
Children are grouped into little crews of similar age. They have a Crew Leader who accompanies them through the entire program.
We value the safety of each child. Leaders and Senior Helpers will be asked to read, sign and follow IBC’s Child Protection Policy. In addition, a training meeting is envisaged. All of our volunteers are on the lookout to keep your children protected. Leaders, helpers and children are easily identified by their Identification Badge. We also ask about emergency contact details, food allergies and/or medical conditions.
Can you help?
We depend on volunteers to make VBS happen. They can be Junior Helpers or Senior Helpers. Would you like to join during the upcoming VBS? It’s great fun, stimulating, fulfilling – and program material is provided. We need help in various areas.
Usually the respective Station Leaders and Assistant Leaders have committed at an early date. But they still need other enthusiastic Christian believers to support them as members of a team:
Activity Stations for 5-11s (in alphabetical order):
- Bible Story
- Circle-Up Time (here individual Crews meet on their own)
- Opening & Closing Assemblies
- Snacks & general hospitality
SPECIAL AGE GROUPS:
- Mentoring the Junior Helpers: Offer a chill-out fellowship for 30 minutes right after each VBS day, i.e. 14:30-15:00 in the Youth Room in order to encourage the 12-15 year-olds who learn responsibility by supporting the team at a Station, a Crew Leader, or by helping with an activity throughout a full VBS day.
- Pre-School & Nursery (Reserved for the younger children aged 0-4 of helpers while on location) This essential support Station offers its own structured program with games, crafts, snacks etc. – many caring helpers are needed here!
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT TASKS:
- Administration Desk
- Audio-Video Desk
- Photography (Crew photos are given as souvenirs – not for use on the internet)
- Skits or Puppetry (if part of program material)
- Supervision / Safety (for example, ‘early bird’ shift 9-10:00; ‘luncheon’ shift 12-12:30; ‘winding up’ shift 14:30-15:00)
Enthusiastic Christian believers who are at the heart of VBS: they love children and accompany a little group of 5-6 kids (of similar age) around the entire event. They are ready to protect and encourage the children, to answer their questions, and to experience all the creative fun and excitement VBS has to offer. (It helps if you feel comfortable sitting on the floor now and then with your crew, but chairs or benches are available – and the kids do all the running: your task is to cheer them on! J)
ASSISTANT CREW LEADERS
Senior and/or Junior Helpers who support a Crew Leader.