Sermon on June 5 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: 1 Peter 5 : 5-6
In a time when the culture reacts against low self-esteem, Christ-esteem and gospel humility are rare. What is gospel humility?
1. GOSPEL HUMILITY ALWAYS GROWS IN RELATIONSHIPS! (v5a)
‘… submit yourselves to..’
Younger people can have a propensity to pride but so can we all! Imagine a church where every bubble of pride has been popped..
‘Pride stands on bubbles which must soon burst beneath it feet. Pride has no solid rock on earth on which to place itself. We have reasons for almost everything, but we have no reasons for pride – for we have nothing to be proud of.’
2. GOSPEL HUMILITY ALWAYS BEGINS WITH YOUR MIND! (v5b)
‘All of you, clothe yourselves..’
Do not wait for a feeling but wrap on the apron of humility each day, as the slave puts his apron on to keep his clothes clean.
Are you humble enough to talk to the person who does not dress like you? Do you seek out friends who make you feel special, or by those whom you can make feel special? (Luke 14:7-14)
3. GOSPEL HUMILITY ALWAYS BOWS BEFORE GOD’S GRACE!
‘God opposes the proud but shows favour to the humble’
This is a global principle – God will bring down the arrogant, but it is also a gospel principle.
You will never experience gospel humility until you have seen the pride in your heart that would keep self, not God, on the throne. (Luke 18:9-14)
4. GOSPEL HUMILITY ALWAYS LIVES UNDER GOD’S MIGHTY HAND! (v6)
‘… under God’s mighty hand that he may lift you up’
Being humble is more than just the absence of pride or living with your limitations.
God’s grace is the key to realising who you are and what you are and to understanding what you are and what you are not. It saves you from the tyranny of trying to reverse what God’s hand has ordered. Are you happy to be you?
‘For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile;
You gave me Jesus and you made me your child;
And I just thank you Father for making me, me.’
(from ‘The Butterfly Song’ : Brian Howard)
Remember! Without gospel humility, no-one can enter the kingdom.
Embrace humility, be a servant and live with the King.
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- Think back over the past few weeks and write down where you have been tempted to be arrogant and to look down on others? Why is pride the first and last sin? Answer from Scripture and think of examples of the destruction that pride brings.
- How would gospel humility differ from general niceness? Define this in your own words. Now read Luke 18:9-14. Why did the tax-collector go home justified and in a right relationship with God?
- Look up the following verses and notice the different ways in which our Lord Jesus Christ displayed humility. (Mat. 11:25-30; 20:25-28; Luke 2:7; 10:21-22; Phil. 2:5-8). How does His example help us to put on humility?
- Is there a relationship between humility and being content? In what way? How can we reflect gospel humility in the way we use social-media? Now pray that the Lord will keep on reminding you of your place in His world, so you can make much of Him and not yourself.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .