Sermon on November 6 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Malachi 2:7-3:9
Mistaken identity can be fatal. When we go wrong in our thinking about God, everything else will go wrong too.
Before you complain:
1. LOOK IN – GOD IS A RENEWING GOD! (2:7 – 3:4)
- Behold God, always more holy than you think
If God turned a blind eye to injustice and rebellion, He would be unholy and not God. Real renewal and grace is because of Jesus who alone can make us stand before God
- Behold God, always less hasty than we deserve
Since God renews, He will purge, cleanse and sift those whom He loves. This begins not with the world, but with the church.
2. LOOK FORWARD – GOD IS A JUDGING GOD! (3:5)
- Behold God, from whom nothing is hidden
All roads end before Jesus, the Judge – and all tunnels come up into His courtroom.
- Behold God, before whom everything will be laid bare
All our deeds and works will be brought to light. No condemnation in Jesus (Rom. 8:1) does not mean no evaluation (1 Cor.3:12)
3. LOOK UP – GOD IS AN UNCHANGING GOD! (v6 – 9)
- If God were changeable, our history would be different
God has never known change. Since He cannot grow older, stronger or wiser, He cannot change for the worse.
- Since God’s generosity won’t change, should ours?
God wants hearts that are one with His. We cannot give the world to Him, but are we giving our world (our all) to Him?
Behold your God! The same God who is generous, also renews and judges. Let us live and serve Him with all He is before us.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
1. Why were the Hebrew people grumbling against God? How did they get to that point? Why is knowing God as He reveals Himself so important?
2. Is it true that God does not judge wickedness? Give some examples from the Bible that prove this if you believe He does. Will those whose sins are forgiven ever be judged? Read 1 Corinthians 3: 12- 15. What does this mean and how should it affect the way we live and serve?
3. God’s people wanted God’s blessing, but without sacrifice on their part. Can we fall into this today? In what ways? If we want to see more of God’s favour upon us as a church, what must we be prepared to do? Now pray for the Lord to make us sacrificial in our living and giving.
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Ann Kanth