Sermon on September 17 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Proverbs 31:10-31
What does the Lord expect from wives and moms, or those who hope to be one day? Perfection or attitude?
‘A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies’ (31:10)
A Christ-centred wife:
1. ALWAYS SEEKS WISDOM, NOT WISHING!
- Graciously empowers her husband (v11,12)
‘A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown but a disgraceful wife is like decay in the bones’ (12:4)
Sarah empowered her husband Abraham despite himself. Loving submission is not waiting for the ideal situation or spouse.
- Gladly embraces the ordinary (v13-19, 27)
It is who we are in the routine and ordinary that shows where our hearts lies.
Ladies, do you get on with the ‘ordinary chores’ to fill your love bank, or to love as Christ loves you?
2. ALWAYS SEEKS PURPOSE NOT PERFECTION!
- Builds character into her children (v15, 28-31)
‘She gathered us around herself and my father to listen to Bible stories, to join in family prayers, and to share a sense of the presence of God… She always had devotions with us, she always prayed with us, she always loved us and did so many things..’
(Billy Graham’s mother, Morrow)
- Models confidence for her family (v25)
Do not think that the ‘strength’ of the home is only, or even mostly in the father. Moms, knowing that the God who gives grace today will give equal grace for tomorrow will equip you to laugh at the days to come.
3. ALWAYS SEEKS THE GOSPEL, NOT GLAMOR!
- Do not settle for fleeting beauty (v30a)
In the cultures of the moment and selfies, we may be easily be duped into thinking that we are how we look to others.
- Do rest in God for lasting beauty (v30b)
This mom is not a supermom. She shares the same heart as a woman who when she trusted in the Lord had no husband, could not afford a spinning wheel, and had to beg for food in somebody else’s field.
‘… All the people of my town know that you are a woman of noble character’
(Boaz to Ruth , in Ruth 3:11)
Ladies, this woman is not equivalent of a modern day Pininterest queen whom you must follow or die trying.
She is a friend who points us all to truth – yes even a friend to men as well as women.
Ladies, remember! ‘If righteousness is by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were grace would no longer be grace’ (Rom. 11:6)
We don’t need cooking-righteousness, or business/success righteousness or even well-behaved children righteousness to prove your worth. It has been proved already if you believe in Jesus.
Married men, encourage your excellent wife and make her more beautiful!
Single men- such a woman may be rare, but it is through such women that God is building His kingdom. Choose wisely.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- Is there such a woman as the Proverbs 31 woman? Give reasons for your answer.
- How can wives and mothers guard against being crushed by the ideal woman?
- What aspects of the wife and mother of Prov. 31 are abused or ignored by those who reject the distinction between man and woman as designed by God?
- How does the gospel of Jesus Christ empower us to live faithfully in the roles to which God has called us?
Photo credit FreeImages.com/L. Emerson