Sermon on September 24 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Proverbs 31:10-31
Why does Satan target the concept of family? Through family God teaches about Himself, the gospel and the church.
In a happy home:
1. SPOUSES AFFIRM EACH OTHER HONESTLY!
- Husbands, make praise a priority (31:28)
The English word husband is related to husbandry – godly husbands know how to cultivate, nurture and affirm. Do you?
- Wives, put peace before plenty (17:1)
‘Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil. Better a small serving of vegetables than a fattened calf with hatred’ (15:16-17)
2. CHILDREN HONOR THEIR PARENTS SINCERELY!
- Appreciate your parents as your parents (20:20; 30:17)
Note well: disrespect for life such as euthanasia and abortion begins with losing respect for the generation before us
- Appreciate your parents for what they modelled to you
‘The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him’ (23:24)
3. PARENTS NURTURE THEIR CHILDREN RADICALLY!
- Show your children the value of good taste
‘Train a child in his way and when he is old he will not depart from it’. (Literal translation, 22:6)
Training your children is getting them accustomed to good taste.
‘1. That we would love Christ more than our daughter.
2. That our baby would know Christ.
3. That we’ll continually entrust our baby into God’s hands.
4. For a daily desperation for God’s word.
5. That our child would love the church.’
(Kristen Wetherell : ‘Before You Were Born, We prayed for You – Five Prayers for Expecting Mothers)
- Keep your children from the misery of bad choice
‘Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away’ (22:15)
‘A rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a youth left to himself is a disgrace to his mother’ (29:15)
If we believe that our children are innocent, good and wise we can leave them to do what they think is best.
If they are like us (who are disciplined daily by the Lord), then active discipline is the most loving gift we can give.
Remember! There is no such a thing as a family that has it all together. All of us need Jesus who bore His Farther’s rod of wrath to free us from sin, guilt and shame. Without Jesus we turn our families into Pharisees (who pat themselves on the back), or rebels (when the bribes for good behaviour and threats for bad behaviour go away). Build your home on Him alone.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- Why is it crucial that we have a good understanding of the family God’s way? What is at stake?
- Write down daily at least 2 qualities that you thank the Lord for in your spouse. After 5 days, sit down and share them with each other.
- How can we subtly forget our parents in an age where youthfulness can so easily be glorified and getting older is seen as weakness?
- Why do so many parents feel guilt when their children don’t turn out as they would wish? Are we responsible to God for how our children turn out, or are they responsible for their own choices?
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Teresa Howes