Sermon on March 18 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Mark 1:9-13
You just don’t know what it’s like!’ Does Jesus know the full force of temptation – and why?
Jesus can help me since :
1. JESUS ALONE SATISFIES THE FATHER!
- Baptism puts Jesus on the front page (v9,10)
The only King who can help us is the Servant – King willing to step down. Even to the humiliation of the Cross.
- Baptism positions Jesus with sinners
Jesus is ‘all righteousness’ that God requires of sinners (Mat. 3:15).
There is not a experience of life that He has not entered and come through with full obedience.
- Baptism proves His sonship (v11)
‘… the commander-in-chief had come to the front lines, fastened his bayonet, strapped on his helmet and jumped into the trench along with the rest of us. And when he did that, his Father in heaven, who had sent him for this very combat, said ‘ You are the man, my Son.’ (John Piper)
2. JESUS ALONE SHUTS THE DOOR ON SATAN! (v 12-13)
- In tough times, Jesus is tougher still
Jesus fights the battle in the toughest place of life, isolated and totally dependent on the Father.
‘Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and once made perfect (mature), he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him’. (HEB 4:8)
- In testing times, Jesus is smarter yet
Jesus succeeds in the wilderness where the first son (Israel) failed.
- When all fails, Jesus will not
It cost Jesus to be victorious over Satan. The moment He would refuse to be the Suffering Servant would be the moment he might bow before Satan.
Since He has overcome, He will give you equal grace to resist the devil, and support when you are tested.
Remember! You will be tempted; and you will be tested. But here is the way of escape. It is not being safe or escaping the battle. It is in trusting Jesus fully who slammed the door shut in Satan’s face.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- In what way is Jesus’ baptism different from ours? Have you been baptized? Why or why not?
- What did Jesus do in His life to show He was a second Adam, a new Israel and a perfect King? What could He not avoid to show this and why?
- How have you been tested since you gave your life to Christ? What might you do differently now and why?
- What are the ‘Achilles heels’ (the vulnerable points) in your life where you are tempted to doubt God and give in to temptation? Spend some time in prayer drawing encouragement from this passage and resolving to resist the enemy of your soul.
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Heder Zambrano