Sermon on June 3 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Mark 3:1-6
What do you expect when you come to a service to meet with Jesus?
When Jesus comes to church:
1. WORSHIP MAY BE AWKWARD, NOT EASY! (v1-2)
- What Jesus is – is what many hate
When Jesus comes into our lives, worship may be uncomfortable, but worth it.
- Where Jesus is, may be more messy than we like
Every congregation in the New Testament was such that others may ask: “Is Jesus really at work among you?”
When you face opposition and obstacles, the Lord may be preparing for a great work.
2. WORSHIP BECOMES REAL, NOT FOR SHOW! (v3-6)
- When Jesus comes near, who you are becomes clear
Are you through worship far more aware of your sins and failings, than those of others?
Search me, God and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
(Psalm 139: 23,24)
- When Jesus acts, what you need will be given
A man with a shrivelled hand receives an open hand.
Will Jesus not give you what you need best, when He thinks you need it?
(Is. 43:2; Ps 23:4; Rom. 8:28; I Cor. 10:13)
- When Jesus works, choose carefully
The gospel says the people who know they’re not better, not more open-minded, not more moral than else are in And the people who think they are on the right side of the divide are most in danger.
Jesus wants your faith, your obedience, your all – or nothing at all.
What does Jesus see when He comes to our church?
How will you reflect His grace more, or better?
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- List some of the things you believe Jesus wants to see when He comes to church – our church? Why?
- How are a legalistic spirit and a critical attitude related?
- Was Jesus right to be angry? When is anger justifiable? How should we express such anger i.e. against sin?
- How does this passage encourage you? How does it give you hope for a seemingly impossible situation you face?