Sermon on September 15 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Mark 10:46-52
What is true faith? Why is important that we not only know Jesus but where we stand with Him as well?
I. TRUE FAITH SEES! (v 46)
Bartimaeus name = ‘son of honor’
- True faith is seeing ourselves as we truly are, so we may come to Jesus for all He is.
- Do you see clearly? Do not miss the ‘one’ in the crowds of life
II. TRUE FAITH STICKS! (v 47-48)
- Bartimaeus is no ‘theologian’, but he sticks to Jesus for His mercy, (not for glory like the disciples at this point)
‘Better to be blind and see with your heart, than to have two good eyes and see nothing.’ (Helen Keller)
- A false faith may tremble at God’s Word, may have much by way of religion and even perform miracles, but only a true faith is devoted to a living Christ.
III. TRUE FAITH SAVES! (v49-51)
- Bartimaeus is saved not by faith in his faith, or faith in positive thinking but faith in Jesus
- When Jesus calls out faith and saves you, you can never see in the same way again.
IV. TRUE FAITH STAYS! (v52)
- Conversion is not perfection. But it is a radical U-turn, where you should expect a hunger for likeness to Jesus.
‘Followed Jesus along the road’ = Bartimaeus follows Jesus in the way.
- Are you an admirer of Jesus?
Or are you in the way, so that the whole trajectory of your life is about Jesus?
- Not yet a Christian? Don’t wait to get your life together before you come to Jesus.
- Can you see and has your night been turned to day?
- Don’t miss the one on your way…To whom will you say: ‘Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.’
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
1. Why does Mark tell us Bartimaeus’ name? How should that affect the way we see people and relate to them?
2. What is the significance of Bartimaeus referring to Jesus as ‘Rabboni’? What must saving faith see in Jesus before it responds to Him?
3. Why does Bartimaeus follow Jesus? How do his reasons compare with the reasons we might have?
4. In what sense are we all blind until Jesus heals us? Pray for family and friends who are not yet in the way with Jesus and for true sight and faith.
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Ignacio Leonardi