Sermon on December 11 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Luke 2:8-20
Far more important than man walking on the moon is God walking on the earth!
If we would take Christ to our culture:
1. BE HUMBLED – JESUS COMES FOR SHEPHERDS, NOT SUPERMEN! (v8-9)
When God comes to the smelly, most despised group of people He is making a point.
When through Jesus we learn to say ‘Glory to God’ at the foot of the Cross then we can know the peace Jesus brings
2. BE ASSURED – JESUS COMES FOR HUMANS, NOT ANGELS! (v10-14)
Billions of angels worship Jesus, protect and guide us – but Jesus did not die for them. Every human-being matters.
‘But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, yet is now crowned with glory and honor..’
3. BE ENGAGED – JESUS WANTS OUR LIVES, NOT JUST LIPS! (v15-18, 20)
The shepherds returned to their dreary jobs, but as changed people.
‘ It is inbred in us that we have to do exceptional things for God; but we have not. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things. To be holy in mean streets, among mean people – and this is not learned in five minutes.’
4. BE FOCUSED – TREASURE JESUS NOW AND ALWAYS!
‘ But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart’
‘ I shall never forget that this is the Visited Planet’
(‘The Angels’ Point of View’ or ‘The Visited Planet’ : J.B. Philips)
Remember! You and I live on the Visited Planet. Our destiny is higher than even those of the angels. Treasure Jesus!
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
1. Why would Luke go to so much trouble in making sure that we know that Jesus first appeared to shepherds? If Jesus came today do you think he might appear first to refugees or to the Presidents of a country? When God breaks into a person’s life for what is He looking? How should this change the way we relate to people?
2. Read Hebrews 2:5-10. In what way are humans more privileged than angels? What understanding of God do Christians have that angels do not? How should this affect the way we worship God?
3. What gatherings and events are you looking forward to this Christmas? How can we share Jesus in simple ways? Do we have to do great things to live for the glory of God? Spend time in praise to God for the gift of Jesus. Ask for contentment in the small and menial things of life.