Sermon on May 21 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Proverbs 1:8 – 19
We live in a world that loves virtual reality. All of us need situational awareness and the reality-check of the father to his son:
If you want to live an honourable life
1. SIT UP – AND LISTEN!
Wisdom is not doing life my way. God’s way always includes good listening to honourable parents.
- Your parents love you most (v8)
Young people: God channels his wisdom and care for us through good parenting – always a team effort.
‘A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son brings grief to his mother’.
Parents: Keep instructing your children and trust Him for the outcome.
‘I learned more about Christianity from my mother than all the theologians in England’.
- Your Father loves you best (v9)
Young people: It is through the family and church family that we learn to walk with the wise – and pass on the garland.
Parents: Wisdom is teaching our children to live for Jesus, not to build their own little kingdoms.
“Many men are hard to read… But I never wondered about my Dad – what he cared most about and what he lived for. Never once… not even a little. He did not take a keep-a-low-profile approach to life. Jesus was too wonderful to him.”
2. STAND FIRM – AND RESIST!
Our Father gives us red flags to keep us on the garland road:
- Resist those who want you to hide (v11a)
Watch out for those who want you to be or do what you will be ashamed to bring out into the open
‘If we claim to have fellowship with Him, and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth’
(1 JN 1:8)
- Resist those who want to cause hurt (v11b, 12; 17-18)
We can join ‘the gang’ by simply doing nothing. What is our role in a world that ambushes itself through abortion and euthanasia?
- Resist those who aim to harm (v13-16)
Greed is a great destroyer. The virtual world promises happiness by telling you to grasp for more.
The real Jesus promises you that one taste of Him will keep you longing for real treasure.
Remember! Only one person can rescue us from the bloodshed and power of sin. He is not lying in wait for blood. He gave His own blood – and now says ‘Come to Me and I will give you!’ Follow Him now and always and you will be crowned with honour.
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- Where is the ‘school’ where we learn wisdom for life? Are schools and even the church ultimately responsible for instruction and teaching children to love the gospel and Jesus Christ? How can the church help those who are under-parented or from one parent families?
- What from this passage are the marks of a wise son or daughter? What makes our children truly attractive? Providing them with the best gadgets – or preparing them for the influences they will face? How can we do this best?
- How can we recognize those who are out to trap us into their virtual world? What gives them away? How does this help us to choose our companions wisely? Spend some time in prayer for all parents and every child entrusted to our church family.
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Adrian , Canada