Sermon on May 28 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Proverbs 1:20-33
Wisdom is not something that is optional. What you do with God’s wisdom is the difference between life and death.
In a noisy world:
1. STAY PUT – GOD HAS THE LOUDEST VOICE!
Lady Wisdom (God’s voice in Jesus) is calling to us where we are.
- She is not where you expect her to be (v20,21)
You will not find security by going anywhere – to a particular place, or country. God is shouting in the city, where you are!
‘Truly I tell you, whoever hears My Word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life. He will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life’
(John 5: 24)
- She is confused about all the confusion (v22,23)
“Unbelief says: Some other time but not now; some other place, but not here; some other people but not us. Faith says: Anything he did anywhere else He will do here; anything He did any other time He is willing to do now; anything He ever did for other people He is willing to do for us.’
2. BE SERIOUS – GOD IS SPEAKING IN THE STORM!
- When God laughs, He is never giggly (v24-26)
When God laughs, it is never at the pain of fools but the defeat of evil.
“No one laughs at God in a hospital, No one laughs at God in a war; No one’s laughing at God, When they’re starving or freezing or so very poor”
(Regina Spektor: ‘Laughing With’)
- When God works, it is for eternity (v27-31)
When God comes to us in a storm, it is never to crush us, but to strip away our flimsy hopes.
(1 Cor. 15:19)
3. CHOOSE JESUS – ONLY GOD CAN KEEP YOU SAFE!
- Complacency kills (v32)
Watch out for the counterfeit ease of complacency. See the foolish man in Mat 7:27.
- Christ saves (v33)
What you choose now is the foundation for this life – and the next.
“The rain came down, the streams rose and the winds blew and beat against that house. Yet it did not fall because it had its foundation on the rock.”
Remember! Safety and security does not come from where you live, what you have or how you plan. Is your hope only and securely in Christ alone?
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
- Why does Lady Wisdom call in the public square? What does this tell us about whom God is calling and where He meets us?
- How should we think about disasters, such as the Manchester bombing? Is God laughing at pain? Can He use suffering? Who has the last ‘laugh’ in life, and how should this impact the choices we make?
- Read Mat 7:24-27. What was the difference between the foolish builder and the wise builder? How best can we live at easy in a world that is not?
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Adrian van Leen