Sermon on July 15 by Hansie Breedt, OM Belgium
Scripture: Luke 7:36-50
The danger of being on ‘cruise control’ in your relationship with Jesus.
The context of this story:
18 John’s disciples told him about all these things. Calling two of them,
19 he sent them to the Lord to ask, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”
21 At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind.
22 So he replied to the messengers, “Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard…
The characters in this story:
1. SIMON, THE PHARISEE
- Why did he invite Jesus to have dinner at his house?
- He does not even follow the normal rules for etiquette for when a guest is invited
2. THE WOMAN WHO LIVED A SINFUL LIFE
- She was known by everyone – even Simon knew her
- Her presence must have been scandalous.
- She seems to be the most unlikely person to ‘recognise’ Jesus.
This is in sharp contrast with Simon who doesn’t seem to ‘recognise’ Him.
- He not only eats with tax collectors and sinners, but accepts the invitation from a Pharisee.
- To Simon’s amazement, Jesus allows the woman to touch him
- In front of everyone, Jesus rebukes Simon
- To the sinful woman –
48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
4. THE OTHER GUESTS
49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”
THE FINAL WORDS OF THE STORY:
50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
APPLICATION: HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO JESUS?
Download the sermon (save link as…)
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Stacy Brumley