Sermon on November 4 by Pastor Roland Eskinazi
Scripture: Mark 6:45-53
Have you discovered that the Christian life is not plain sailing? Sometimes the Lord sends us to a place that is right out of our depth.
1. WHEN YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR DEPTH, JESUS NEVER IS! (v45-47)
- Trouble comes suddenly
- Trouble comes surprisingly
Sometimes we get into trouble through our own will-full disobedience (Jonah 1). But the disciples are obeying Jesus!
God sometimes raises difficulties in the lives of His people that He may have the glory of subduing them and helping His people over them
- Trouble comes purposefully
Would the disciples have stayed afloat were Jesus not on His knees?
Do you feel out of your depth? If the only safe place for Jesus was on His knees, it will be no different for us.
2. WHEN YOUR FAITH FAILS, JESUS IS GREATER!
- ‘Who can match My Power?’ (v48-49)
When Jesus passes by, it is that the disciples may understand who is coming alongside them. (Exodus 33:18; 1 Kings 19)
..If you never felt thunder and lightning you’ll be impressed with fireworks. And if you turn your back on the greatness and majesty of God you’ll fall in love with the world of shadows and short pleasures.
- ‘Who dare challenge My Person?’ (v50-51)
When you can’t control what is happening, Jesus the great I AM (‘ego eimi’ ) can and does.
The fear of the Lord leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble
- ‘Who would question My Patience?’ (v52)
Even when our faith flickers, and even when it has almost dried up, Jesus is much, much greater.
Remember! It’s ultimately the Cross that shows us how Jesus will never give up on us. If it seems too good to be true, perhaps you are getting to know Him!
Download the sermon (save link as…) .
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION
1. If someone suggested that the disciples exaggerated and Jesus never actually walked on water, how would you respond? Why does this matter?
2. Have you ever felt that you were doing the will of God obediently, but you still ended up in trouble and difficult? How did you feel? How did it turn out for you in the end?
3. What are some of the other situations where God says ‘Be courageous’, or ‘Don’t be afraid’? How does Jesus example before He walks on the water help us?
4. How are you encouraged by the disciples’ slowness to understand who Jesus is?
Photo credit FreeImages.com/Olavo Peixoto