Sermon on March 29 by Greg Helms
Scripture: Colossians 1:9-14
Context: Paul writes to believers: those with true faith and love for Christ.
- The same gospel they have received is bearing fruit in all the world.
Examples: The faithful in Mexico, Honduras, Uganda, Liberia, and Chad.
- Paul also knows our temptation to look for more than Jesus.
4 aspects of our fullness in Christ:
1. Grow in Knowledge (Romans 15:4)
• Grow us in wisdom, that we would grow in worship!
• Lord, keep us from drifting; keep us from deception.
2. Grow in Fruit-bearing (John 15:4-8)
• Faith always produces deeds, if our identity is in Christ.
• Are you bursting with praise, because of Jesus your Savior?
3. Grow in Endurance (Psalm 73:26)
• Our supply is wholly in Christ. We are weak, He is strong.
‘He who spent His Son’s blood to purchase you, will surely spend His own power to keep you’ (William Gurnall)
4. Grow in Gratitude
• Can sinners be qualified? Yes, but only in Christ alone! Let us give thanks.
• We are rescued from darkness to light. Our God is for us.
Who is this Jesus? What has He done? Colossians 1:15-20
‘Joy, under pressure and through trials, is one of the marvels of God’s work in His people’ (Dick Lucas)
- Read 1 Peter 1: Ours is a living hope beyond the grave! Is Jesus really enough? Indeed, HE IS !